Wednesday, January 2, 2013

This Journey They Call Wedding Planning


As my big white wedding day approaches I'll be talking more and more about it, I'm sure.  I've already blogged a little about some of the stuff we're doing leading up to the big day (like The Color Run) but I thought a post explaining it, our vision and my excitement might be in order.

Hubs-To-Be and I have been together about 5 years.  We have two beautiful children together (our boys K and Baby G) and I'm lucky to get to be a part of Jelly Bean's (his 11 year old daughter) life.  We purchased our home together last year and there was never really a question of being together forever- we knew in our hearts we would be.  He finally made it official last year (2/7/12) on a trip to Las Vegas, NV (also, the first vacation we had ever taken together was to Las Vegas, NV four years earlier).  He got down on one knee in front of the Bellagio Fountains, I may have cried, I definitely said yes.


We began thinking about the kind of wedding we wanted.  We viewed a few local places but nothing seemed right.  We had jokingly said we'd just do it in Vegas; but that idea was looking more and more appealing.  After breaking down some pricing options and thinking about what we really wanted after these years we decided to go with a Las Vegas wedding.  Some traditional aspects mixed with a fun and casual weekend with our friends and family. 

Planning began and with my budget in place (we are paying for the wedding ourselves) I started doing research.  Tons and tons of research.  We didn't want a traditional reception (or the price tag that comes with it).  I wanted a chapel on The Strip for location and I wanted to find something that didn't look outdated and too cheesy (although a little cheese in Vegas never hurt anyone).  We want to feed our guests and say thank you (which is what a traditional reception is- a thank you to the guests for celebrating with the couple). 

We're almost a year into planning and we are still making decisions on big and small stuff (I'm so glad I started early and had over a year to plan!).  It won't be a traditional wedding, but nothing we've done so far is traditional anyway.  In the end, we'll be married.  And I'll get to call my best friend my husband.  Anything else it just icing on the cake (or maybe cupcake?).   Thanks for coming with me on the journey and I can't wait to share more planning, budgeting and wedding stuff with you all!

Got some tips, tricks or stories about wedding planning?  I'd love to hear them!
New Year, New Deals: Save up to 30%! Book by 1/28/13, Travel by 2/18/13

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! I got engaged in March, and have yet to even think about wedding planning!!! We know that we will be doing something really small and on the beach near our house, but that's as far as we have gotten. Looking forward to the tips you will be sharing in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to be a photographing bridesmaid. ;) I am starting to think about dressed and such. :) since you are such an excellent bargain shopper I may have to get your help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! People die when I tell them it took about 10 min to plan my wedding!! I don't think i'd have the patience for a big thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Trust me, you'll be planning until the wedding is over. :0) Please try to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, This will be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet this will be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! I need to start on my wedding plans as well! lol I want to go to Bora Bora hahahah :P Vegas will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! Sounds like you'll have a very fun & exciting wedding :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. April is a great time for a wedding. My anniversary is April 19th! Sounds like things will be just perfect for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that you are budgeting, and care more about feeding your guests than the "Bling" of a wedding!! Viva Las Wedding!! Hahaha, your theme is awesome. I'm a total dork, I'd throw in some Hunter S Thompson freak power, sun glasses, and visors for the men.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...