Saturday, October 27, 2012

Rainbow Colorful Pancakes


Rainbow Colorful Pancake Attempt

If you are like me, you have become obsessed with all things rainbow when it comes to baking.  If you've logged onto Pinterest, well, ever, you've seen what I'm talking about.  Each week I make a batch of muffins or pancakes, I usually double the recipe and freeze for the week.  That's a big money saver in this house.  I try my best to make as much as I can from scratch (I'll be sharing more on this soon).  This week I decided to attempt RAINBOW COLORFUL PANCAKES!  Like I said, I've become obsessed with the cuteness of these color splattered creations.  I thought making our normal pancakes 'fun' would be a nice break from our routine.  Here's my account of what happened :)



I took my favorite pancake recipe; just in case you need a good pancake recipe....
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp White Sugar
2 Tsp Baking Powder                                          
1 Tsp Salt
1 Egg beaten
1 Cup Milk
2 Tbsp Veg. Oil
Food Coloring for rainbows ;)
Optional: Vanilla
You know the drill.  Combine dry with dry, wet with wet and then all or it together, don't over mix!  (Most recipes say sift the dry ingredients but I'm not Martha...I don't even own a sifter, and didn't know such a thing exsisted until I became a stay at home mom!)

Divide your batter into 3 (or 4 or however many colors you want to experiment with).  I did four.  A couple drops of coloring will do you just fine.  And mix.  Please excuse the non-matching, well, non-matching everything.  I'm sure I have spoons and bowls that match...somewhere. Note to self: add mixing bowls and flatware to wedding registry.
I suggest putting paper towels underneath. When you pour your batter it'll drip and something under will help with easy clean up.

Next comes the fun part. Spoon, pour and throw that batter on your heated (medium) buttered pan.  As you can see, artistic ability NOT needed.  Try swirls, splatters, patterns whatever you can think up! 


Here's where it got tricky and for a moment (or longer) I thought "FAIL".  The pancake browned on the first side.  Duh!  Pancakes always brown...they get that beautiful golden brown.  In my excitement and haste I forgot about this small fact.  I pictured perfectly colorful pancakes to share with my kiddos. Instead when I flipped the pancake I saw this



See it there?  The browning?  I must admitt I was bummed but forged on.  I was not about to waste pancake batter.  I figured, brown or not, they'll still taste yummy. 
 I made the rest and presented them to my son.  His first reaction was "Those are cool, Mom!"  He took a bite and confirmed that they were "Yummy".  Nice!  Success!  No better testers than my own little guys. Not once did he mention the browning.  Instead he happily ate them (without syrup)! So this attempt, in my opinion (and K's) was a success!
                                                  


1 comment:

  1. This is too cute! I love it!! :) This will be something I will have to do when I have children... and maybe before then just for fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...